Let's Talk!: Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S King

Everybody Sees the Ants Author: A.S King Pages: 279 Published by: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers Published on: October 3rd 2...

Everybody Sees the Ants

Author: A.S King
Pages: 279
Published by: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published on: October 3rd 2011 
Lucky Linderman didn't ask for his life. He didn't ask his grandfather not to come home from the Vietnam War. He didn't ask for a father who never got over it. He didn't ask for a mother who keeps pretending their dysfunctional family is fine. And he didn't ask to be the target of Nader McMillan's relentless bullying, which has finally gone too far. But Lucky has a secret--one that helps him wade through the daily mundane torture of his life. In his dreams, Lucky escapes to the war-ridden jungles of Laos--the prison his grandfather couldn't escape--where Lucky can be a real man, an adventurer, and a hero. It's dangerous and wild, and it's a place where his life just might be worth living. But how long can Lucky keep hiding in his dreams before reality forces its way inside? Michael L. Printz Honor recipient A.S. King's smart, funny and boldly original writing shines in this powerful novel about learning to cope with the shrapnel life throws at you and taking a stand against it.

---

This is my first A.S King book and I have to say, I'm not surprised I like this book. It was funny, weird, feel-good at some moments, and just beautiful writing. A bit slow in the beginning but I was totally able to handle that. If you haven't read from A.S King, I highly recommend it. The writing in this book was just great.

Our main guy, Lucky, is a 15 year old boy  who has been bullied my Nader McMillian since he was 7 (Or was it 9...). Lucky is a guy that has been affected drastically from Nader-you just can't see it as easily. From first look, he just looks like a guy who always sad and "depressed" from the fact that he is constantly bullied. Nader affects him in a different way though. Nader helped Lucky grow into the person he is now-truthful, not a fake person, and just very down to earth. He is a very logical and legit person. If you were to compare him to someone like me- loud, annoying, sassy, sarcastic, and sometimes rude- then obviously, who are you going to want to sit next for the rest of your life? (Me, duh!) Lucky, because he is a very calm and quiet. I don't know exactly where I am going but Lucky was a very interesting person. He is such a great person to befriend and talk to, once you are able to break through his shell of security he lives in. Because he has went through so many years of being bullied, he is able to pull off the facade that he doesn't care about things and isn't affected by it. He is affected by the bullying, but not in a necessarily bad way. (I'm sorry if I just confused you...)

The plot line is very interesting. I mean, there are kind of has two plots but somehow are able to mix in together. First we have Lucky and him dealing with Nader and all that jazz. Along with that is the dreams Lucky has where he is in Vietnam with his grandfather. Every time he has a dream, it is a chance he has to get his grandfather out and help him escape. It's also really cool because if Lucky is holding something while he is taken out of the dream, he will wake up with that item in his hand. Sometimes is like a leaf or a cigar. Guys, his dreams are basically a paradox, it's so cool. As for the bullying plot line, I would have to say they're pretty normal. It seems like a very realistic bullying story. Protagonist get's bullied, goes through tough time, and you know the rest. I think the fact that there were "ants" and the dreams really really spiced up the story. I guess I could say this was a very calming read for me. No huge plot twists or anything. Promise. ;)

I gave this book 4.5 stars because I loved the characters and plot line. It was a bit slow in the beginning though...
Okay, so you know how I mentioned the book was a bit slow? I thought it was slow and kind of boring. Until the part when Ginny was first mentioned, I wasn't too into the book. I guess it was the fact that the only girls in this book was Dana (Is that her name?), Lucky's mom, and freaky Aunt Jodie. When Ginny was finally introduced all I could think was,"Finally! A girl!" Not that I'm saying boys aren't people I like, the story just got a lot better when Ginny appeared. She brought fun, adventure, and was just a great person to Lucky. Before her, it was just Lucky hanging around the house with his scab and lifting weights. Then another dream would happen, Jodie would be annoying again, and Lucky would lift weights. Ahh, but Ginny. Nights sneaking out and watching their performances, how Ginny's life would seem perfect but it absolutely was hecking not, and how Ginny wouldn't treat Lucky like he was fragile.

Just a thought: As you can tell from above, I though Jodi was extremely annoying. She was just so nosy and crossed the fine line between caring and nosy. Also, this lady lives off gossip.

Guys, there dreams Lucky was having was probably the coolest thing ever. I loved how each time it was different but Lucky still had one objective. Get his granddad out. This was also a way for Lucky to get help and advice from people. This missing grandpa was a better father than his own dad. He taught Lucky things, have him wise words, and watched him grow up since age 8.

Just another thought: Nader's bullying seemed so intense. Like this is the stuff where you get hurt. It's a shame Lucky's parents were to scared to go against him earlier...

Ginny-I loved this girl. She could have all this fame and money yet she doesn't want it. She just didn't want that lifestyle. So she cuts her hair off. Honestly, I've never been a more proud person.

Image Source
Her parents were so using her and she didn't like it. I got so pissed when Ginny came back with a bruised face. WHAT THE CRAP WAS THIS!? The parents were truly using her hair for the modeling. They basically said she had no future. I understand where they come from, but Ginny didn't even want that. Forcing someone to do something thing they dislike is basically having "no future." Just was so pissed at her parents for doing what they did to Ginny. And this woman slapped her! Oh I would have done something if I was there.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top