Interview with Jenny Martin!

Welcome to an interview with author of Tracked, Jenny Martin! I thank Jenny for being here today and I hope you guys will check out her n...


Welcome to an interview with author of Tracked, Jenny Martin! I thank Jenny for being here today and I hope you guys will check out her new book! Enjoy!

---

1. Describe your road to publication and your feelings about Tracked being published in 5 words.
Hey, watch out! Curves ahead! :D

2. Which character of Tracked did you enjoy the most write about?
Honestly, I really enjoyed writing Phee, my main character. This girl is bold, and fierce, and fearless...everything I'm not! Although I'm outgoing, I'm actually quite fearful and timid! So it was a lot of fun to step outside myself, and buckle into Phee's point of view. In Tracked, she keeps her foot to the floor (literally and figuratively), and never lets up, no matter the obstacle. At times, it was exhilarating to give into that, and let my mind run wild. In a way, I was able to live out all my daredevil dreams through her. So I'd have to say she was my favorite.

3. Do you have a favorite car? If so which one(s)?
Definitely! I'd love to get my hands on a jet black, SRT Hellcat Dodge Charger. It's all muscle and curve, just gorgeous. Sidenote: If any dealerships would like to loan me one for a summer book tour...well, I sure wouldn't say no. ;)

4. How did you come up with the names of the characters in Tracked?
For every book, I spend a lot of time researching names. I have a big book of baby names on my writing shelf, and I use online name sites, too. For me, the rhythm and cadence and connotation is most important. I say a name out loud and try it out, to see if it seems to fit. But I often consider the meanings of names as well, and it's fun to find just the right one. For Tracked, I wanted a fierce, arena-worthy name for my heroine. Phee Van Zant seemed to fit the bill. Later, Phoebe's given a circuit alias, and that was fun to pick as well. In Tracked, you'll learn that name, and you'll see Cash's and Bear's full names, too!

5. Is there a message you hope readers find in this book? (You don't have to include it in the response if you don't want to):
I hope readers connect with Phee's deep sense of loyalty and with her spitfire, never-surrender spirit. It's tempting to take the easy road in order to stay safe and adored. It's much harder to stand up for what's right, when you're cornered and threatened...when you're seemingly powerless and opposed on all sides. When you're boxed in, it's hard to keep hope alive, and keep fighting. One of my favorite quotes from Tracked is about that very thing; about not giving up or giving in, even when all hope seems lost.

"I have to believe in impossible things."

The line is plays an important part in a crucial scene, and it's something I return to, even in my acknowledgments.

6. Any last words you would like to share?
Keep dreaming when they tell you to quit. Keep reading what they don't want you to read. Keep speaking up for those who've been silenced. And as my character Cash would say, keep believing in impossible things!

---

Jenny Martin

Jenny Martin is an author and librarian. Her first novel, Tracked, released on May 5th, 2015 by Dial, an imprint of Penguin Random-House. Jenny is also an experienced speaker, panelist and presenter who’s appeared at many state and regional conferences, events and festivals. She lives in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, with her husband and son, where she hoards books and writes fiction. And yes, she’s still on a quest for the perfect pancake.

---

Tracked

Author: Jenny Martin
Pages: 400
Published by: Dial Books
Published on: May 5 2015
The Fast and the Furious gets a futuristic twist in this action-packed debut! On corporately controlled Castra, rally racing is a high-stakes game that seventeen-year-old Phoebe Van Zant knows all too well. Phee’s legendary racer father disappeared mysteriously, but that hasn't stopped her from speeding headlong into trouble. When she and her best friend, Bear, attract the attention of Charles Benroyal, they are blackmailed into racing for Benroyal Corp, a company that represents everything Phee detests. Worse, Phee risks losing Bear as she falls for Cash, her charming new teammate. But when she discovers that Benroyal is controlling more than a corporation, Phee realizes she has a much bigger role in Castra’s future than she could ever have imagined. It's up to Phee to take Benroyal down. But even with the help of her team, can a street-rat destroy an empire?

So tell me: What are your thoughts and feelings about this book and do you plan to read it?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top