Let's Talk!: The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas

The Assassin's Blade Author: Sarah J Maas Pages: 448 Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens Release Date: March 4th 2014 Contains a...

The Assassin's Blade

Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 448
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Release Date: March 4th 2014
Contains all five novellas. Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

---

I do not even know how to express my love for this book. I mean I have really loved the Sarah J Maas books I read before The Assassin's Blade but this one really blew me away. It is definitely different from the regular books in the series. This book is basically a compilation of 5 novellas, all taking place before Throne of Glass. I loved reading about Celaena at this point of her life and I also really enjoyed how these novellas all took place around the same time and kind of told her story before Throne of Glass within 5 novellas. It was an epic journey filled with both laughs and tears and I really loved every page of it.

The characters in this book were glorious and I really enjoyed getting to know people, especially Arobynn and Sam. These two are constantly mentioned characters in Throne of Glass and getting to know them felt like walking into a different era in Celaena's life. Sarah writes about a very different Celaena in this book as well. I mean, she is still such a badass character but this book really brought attention to how much the salt mines had changed her. I noticed that in this book, Celaena was a lot more...immature shall I say. For one thing, I loved how arrogant and (still!) sassy she was. She walked around like she had owned the place and I really admire her confidence. I'm not saying that Celaena now isn't sassy and arrogant, I just feel like in the time period the Assassin's Blade takes place, she just has more of it. 

As you can tell from all my gushing about this book, I obviously loved the plot and story line Sarah created. For one thing, I enjoyed seeing this world outside of the place that Throne of Glass takes place. This world is beautiful and I am excited to read more about the places in the Throne of Glass world! An aspect I really loved about this book and story line was how it was constantly keeping me on my toes with questions about what would happen next and what the crap was going on. It all definitely made for a fun reading. Within each novella, there was always such a great plot or ending point but the whole book also had a job  too and that (and in which I think ) was to answer all fan questions and to tell further details of Celaena's past. Both intentions of the book were very much fulfilled. Loved it loved it loved it.

I gave this book 5 stars because I really loved everything about it and how well it did with telling Celaena's story. 
Someone needs to hug me because not only did this book break me, it really made me emotional. I mean, they sent a 16 year old girl to suffer in salt mines for what? 8 years? Okay but you know we already knew that. This whole entire book I was dreading the ending. Dreading to see what would happen to Sam. Dreading to see happy Celaena and Sam then see them broken up. Dreading everything! I mean I did love getting to meet Ansel and Yrene because they were such great characters and they were basically living proof to Celaena's kind heart!

Sam's death was so sad though. They were just so happy together and he dies and at this point I am just itching to do something very bad to Arobynn. I really hope Celaena goes back to kick his ass in Queen of Shadows or any other book because if she didn't I would have been very unsatisfied. He just a jerk and has problems when it comes to property. WHO THE HELL SENDS SOMEONE TO A FREAKING SALT MINE BECAUSE HE CAN'T SHARE THE DAMN GIRL. He had that "Well, if I can't have her, no one can" kind of mind when he did that. *pissed*

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top