Event Recap: The PassTruth Tour!

(Warning: I wrote a part of this post pretty late at night so if this recap is everywhere, I'm sorry.) Before we begin, can I just ...

(Warning: I wrote a part of this post pretty late at night so if this recap is everywhere, I'm sorry.)

Before we begin, can I just say that this event was amazing. JUST AMAZING. I have been to a handful of events and this one is pretty high up with other events.

I felt pretty worried and weird to be going to this signing because I had legit read NO books from each author. I know so many people who love Alex and Sooz's books so I knew I had to go, regardless on whether I had read their books.

So we (We: Me, Rin, and Al. Both the ladies at Undercovers Co!) started the car pretty early before the event because of the fact that I live so far from the bookstore where this event was being held. (And um, I am genuinely sad about that because Kepler's is an AMAZING bookstore. More on that topic to follow.) In total, the drive was about two hours. Probably would have been shorter if the car GPS wasn't guiding us in such weird places, but all is good. We made it there in time to be able to snag the last front row seat.

The event started at seven and I arrived at the store around six-ish. The moment I walked into Kepler's, I speed walked to the event area and snagged the last front row seats before anyone else could. (Yes, front row seats are my forte.)

After we set our stuff down on our seats, I went to get Passenger since Amazon wouldn't ship it to me in time so I had to buy it at the store, which was fine, but I totally could have saved $16 bucks if I had gotten it from Amazon. I do love supporting indie bookstores though!

Let me just tell you how many books I had brought to the event: a lot. Both Sooz and Alex had SO MANY BOOKS OUT! I had about ten books in my tote bag…and I hadn't even gotten the two other books by Alex. So yeah, there were a lot of books and it was kind of a pain to carry around SO MANY BOOKS, you feel?

After I bought my books and stuff, I walked around the bookstore, looking at the books they had and talking with Rin and Al…as if I hadn’t talked to them enough (XD). I had known that Christina, Claire, and Ava were going to be attending the event as well so I got to chat to all three of them before the event started! It was really great catching up with Christina again because the last time I had seen her was Bay Book Fest! It was also so great to finally meet Ava and Claire. I haven’t known them for very long but it was so awesome to meet more bloggers and chat with them. I definitely hope to see them again in the future.

After Ava, Claire, and I had parted from chatting with each other, I went back to my seat, checked on my cats (If you know what I am talking about right now then congrats to you!) and basically waiting for the event to start.
The stage setup!
It was only about five minutes after seven when Alex and Sooz finally showed up! The first thing I noticed about them was how tall they both are, how beautiful they both are, and how I loved Sooz’s bunny top AND OMG, ALEX WORE THE CUTEST PANTS EVER. Also, they both had black flats on and they both look soooo stunninnngggg. AND THEIR HAIR, BOTH OF THEM HAVE FABULOUS HAIR.

They started off the event by Alex taking a picture of the crowd, both of Sooz and Alex introducing their books, and what it was based on. They then asked each other a few questions and talked more about the research they did for their books, what inspired to write Passenger and Truthwitch, and also more stuff that I really can't remember. After that, the Q&A started!

As if Sooz and Alex weren't entertaining enough (They have an awesome friendship and were able to make the discussion so entertaining!) the audience had some great questions. I don't remember exactly what questions were asked but I do know they were some great ones and both Susan and Alex had such great answers to the questions. Not only were they able to answer the questions, they told such great stories along with them and really allowed people to come up with more questions based on their answers on past questions. Even though I had never read a book from either author, I was able to come up with a question, which is a relief because I always feel bad attending an event and not having a question to ask the authors.

After the discussion and Q&A, signing time finally came! Kepler's has a pretty smart system where they let a row get their books signed and kind of dismiss each row to get their books signed. That way, it's not a huge glob in the signing line. Because I was in the front row, Rin, Al, and I were one of the first to get our books signed. I admit, it took a couple minutes for the signing table to be set up and then another couple minutes for me to actually get to Alex and Sooz.
Do you see all the beautiful swag?!
In total, it was about a ten-minute wait and when I finally got to them, I honestly didn't know what to say. That was basically the moment I had feared the most when it came to this event: when I got to Alex and Sooz, what was I going to say to them? I hadn't read any of their books so I knew I was going to have to figure out something to say.

Both Alex and Sooz made it so easy to talk to them because it was more they asked me questions about myself and I would make conversation based off that. With Alex, I thanked her for coming to not only this bookstore, but two other Bay Area bookstores, which is super rare considering these authors are huge.

Alex had complimented my ModCloth Bag (aka my main tote bag for EVERYTHING) and asked me where I came from. When I told her, Angela (I believe that is her name), one of the staff at Kepler's (I think she is the manager) who was standing right next to the table, freaked out when she heard because the place where I live was not close to the store. Both Alex and Angela thanked me for coming, which was awesome because it felt nice knowing that all that traffic I had gone through was worth it and usually authors don't ask if whether or not you're from the area. Alex and I had then chatted more and she had finished signing my books! I also had grabbed some swag and had Alex sign them.
Everything I got from this event!
Now here comes the exciting part. I didn't want to include it in above paragraph because it would have made it super long and I also want to properly talk about this. After I had told Alex how long the drive was, she gave me a Passenger tote bag. I'm pretty sure she only had about five of them with her for this stop and I honestly felt so honored to get a tote bag because they were definitely not handing this stuff out like candy. Alex will probably never be reading this but I really want to thank her for giving me a tote. Part of me still thinks that I totally am not worthy of this glory but another part of me is a book lover and knows that it's not every day you have a Passenger tote bag. I am really grateful Alex had given it to me and I will forever cherish it.

After I had gotten my books signed my Alex, I went to Sooz who was just as great to talk with. I thank her for coming and we chatted for awhile while she had signed my books. It was so great to talk with Susan because she is so sweet and just a great person to talk to. Afterward, I got a quick picture with Sooz and Alex and waited around for Rin and Al to get their books signed!
Sooz, Alex, and I!
I made sure to say hi to Evelyn Skye before leaving so after Rin and Al were done getting their books signed, I went over to her to say hi! We took a selfie together (With the Crown's Game ARC! More on that to come) and chatted for a couple minutes. It was so awesome talking to her and she is the sweetest person ever. Super excited for The Crown's Game and I am really hoping I could get an ARC of that book... Speaking of the Crown's Game ARC...EVELYN HAD ONE WITH HER AND IF I WASN'T SUCH A NICE AND GOOD PERSON I would have totally run off with it. She brought an ARC for Alex and Sooz I think and I got to hold it and flip through the pages and get a picture with it, just to show that I was once in the presence of an ARC. Definitely check out The Crown's Game if you haven't already! It sounds so awesome and I really can't wait to read it.
Evelyn, ARC, and I!
Yeah, so after that, I left the bookstore as a happy child and finished my delicious burrito. The end.

There is also one more thing I want to talk about before ending this post: how awesome Kepler's is. This was the second time I have been to the bookstore but if I lived closer, I would definitely be there at least once a month. Everyone is so nice there and the selection of books is wonderful. Definitely excited on going there again in the future!

I hope you guys enjoyed the recap and yes I realize it is super long but there was honestly so much to talk about! Thanks for sticking with it for this long!

So tell me: Have you read anything from Susan or Alex?! What are your thoughts on the recap?&

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top