Goodbye Summer, It Was a Great 2.33 Months // Kaitlin's Summer 2016 Recap

Hello everyone and welcome to a very sad post. With heavyheart, I am sad to say that my summer has officially ended. Shit, yes I am goin...

Hello everyone and welcome to a very sad post. With heavyheart, I am sad to say that my summer has officially ended. Shit, yes I am going back to school and not the happiest about it. Don't get me wrong! I enjoy going to school (sometimes) but I will definitely miss staying up late and sleeping in, being able to spend 2 hours eating lunch, and watching shows whenever I want. But to celebrate summer, I have decided to recap my summer for you guys! If you're still in summer break, embrace it because it's ending soon and then you all can join me in this "being in school" hellhole. Anyway, hope everyone enjoys this post and has a great rest of the summer.


Read This Summer

On the Fence
Open Road Summer
The Start of Me and You
Suffer Love
The Summer I Turned Pretty
It's Not Summer Without You
We'll Always Have Summer
Tone Deaf
The Sun is Also a Star
This Savage Song
Cursed Child
You Know Me Well
Lifeboat Clique
Vampire Academy
Frostbite
Shadow Kiss
Blood Promise
Spirit Bound
Last Sacrifice
Hamilton: The Revolution
Caraval
The Epidemic
So yeah, I guess you could say I had a pretty okay summer when it came to reading. There were days where I finished like 3 books in 3 days but some days where I just didn't feel like reading. I read a lot of good books and books that were already on my shelf so it was great to knock out some books I already owned and books I've been wanting to read for awhile.


Shows Watched

Well, if summer is good for one thing it's to pile more shows onto my very long list of shows I already watch. I had a few shows that I knew I wanted to catch up on but I basically started and got caught up with three shows this summer.

First, I went ahead and got caught up on Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash, since I was only a few episodes behind and I was planning to watch the shows once they were back on air. I then started/caught up on Supergirl, which basically means I was about 15 episodes behind so I basically started the show again. Because Supergirl was getting moved to CW and would be in association with all the other shows I watch (The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow) I decided to why not go ahead and binge the show since I would eventually watch Supergirl anyway. It was a great 2 day show binge and I'm excited for a new season!

The big binge this summer was Reign. Three seasons, each episode about 45 minutes long. So yeah, I spent a good 5 days, sitting in bed, just watching Reign. It was nice because this show is definitely meant to be binged and it was a super addicting binge. I think it's only getting a half season on CW for season four (not returning until 2017) so thank god because now I will only have to juggle 4 shows, not 5! Reign definitely gave me many feels and upon finishing it, I maybe spent like 4 nights, scrolling through tumblr under the "Reign" tag.

Then, yesterday, I decided it would be a fabulous idea to start Netflix's Stranger Things on my final day of summer break. I'm writing this post on my last day of summer break so, whether or not this paragraph stays in the post depends on whether I actually start Stranger Things. I've heard great things about it, it's only 8 episodes long so it should be a great way to end summer and start a new school year. (I watched an episode. I'm currently on episode 3 and very interested so I will definitely be planning on continuing the show.)


Summer Highlights

Most of the summer highlights I had talked about in my August Post so I just took that little section and put it here.
Washington + Vancouver
For two weeks, I went back to Washington, which was pretty exciting for me because I do love it up there. I got to see my family again, be back in Washington, and experience their glorious weather. I had a really nice time up there and also got the chance to visit Canada again! My family and I went biking in downtown Vancouver, I was able to get some poutine (!!), and even got to see a little bit of filming for The Flash, which was pretty awesome. I had a really fun time in both Vancouver and Washington and can't wait to go back again!

Victoria Schwab Signing
While I was in Washington, I also had the opportunity to see Victoria Schwab for her last This Savage Song tour stop. I went to the event having only read This Savage Song but I really enjoyed her event. She answered a lot of audience questions and I had a great time listening to her speak. I have yet to read Vicious and A Darker Shade of Magic (the two other Schwab books I won), but I am really excited to do so, seeing as though she is a highly adored writer.

Vampire Academy Binge
Yes, you're reading that headline right, I went on a Vampire Academy binge. I finished all 6 books, in 5 days. It was a pretty addicting series so am I surprised that I read all those books in such little time? No. It was such an emotional roller coaster, I loved the characters in the book, and Richelle Mead is just such an awesome writer. I absolutely loved the series and can't wait to binge the Bloodlines series later.

14th Birthday!
This year, I turned 14! Yes, it was quite an exciting birthday, seeing as though I spent the day reading...Vampire Academy. I also got to talk to some other bloggers in a huge Google Hangout, which was awesome because it's not something that I do very often. Haha but yeah, I had my actual party 3 days later and it was really awesome to spend time with my friends again and just have a great time with them. (If you want to see what I got for my birthday, I tweeted about it here!)


Food

As everyone probably knows, I love food. What I love more than food is trying new food. This summer, I was able to try new food, but also eat food that I love.


Boba Guys // San Francisco, California
One of the first "new" things I head this summer was Boba Guys boba. I am a regular consumer of boba milk tea, or bubble tea. It's the bomb and I love how the Bay Area has so many great places to get boba. Boba Guys is a pretty well known boba place, one that doesn't really exist in my area so when I went to San Fran, I wanted to try it. I must say, I was not disappointed. It was a pretty good cup of boba. A little pricey, but good boba. Sad I'm not very close to one of the stores but definitely plan on going to Boba Guys the next time I visit San Fan.


Poutine + Kinder Eggs // Vancouver, British Columbia
As mentioned above, I went to Canada again. I was there last year, but on the East side. Going to Canada, I had my mind set on two things, poutine and Kinder Eggs. Both aren't found in America. Well, I got to have both! After a whole year, I was so happy to be able to have poutine again and guys, it was just as great as I remember it. Super unhealthy, but I rarely have it. 

Getting to experience a Kinder Egg was great as well. Kinder Egg's aren't as special as poutine, it's just an capsule with a toy inside coated in chocolate. Regardless, it was fun to each the chocolate (because it's pretty good chocolate) and build the toy inside the egg.


TROVE // Seattle, Washington
While I was in Washington, my cousins took me to a little cafe called Trove that had bombass parfaits. They weren't your typical parfaits. It was more like a jar of frozen yogurt, with a whole bunch of toppings that were relavent to the flavor that was ordered. A weird way to describe it, I know but it was such a great parfait and I was really on the verge of buying a second one after finishing the first. Plus, they let you take home the jar, which now sits in my room.


Bouchon Bakery // Yountville, California
And finally, my most recent food adventure: Bouchon Bakery. Bouchon Bakery is a French bakery with a whole bunch of really good food. Sandwiches, baguettes, macarons, and so many other great french pastries. I live *fairly* close to one of the four Bakeries so I got there a few times a year. I love the barkery though. Sure, the prices can be a *bit* much but it's so worth it to me. Especially the bread, which is so delicious and I am not joking when I say that I could probably finish a baguette in like 20 minutes. They're addicting. I went a few days ago with my family and we ordered a lot of bread, sandwiches, and some pastries! They were all so good and I am honestly so glad I live is close Bouchon Bakery because it is such a fabulous place with bombass food.

So tell me: What was your favorite part of summer vacation?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top