That New Harry Potter Book? Yeah Not My Fave... // Thoughts on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Author: J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books Release Date: ...

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Author: J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Release Date: July 31st 2016
Format: Hardcover
The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later. Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016. It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Goodreads

I feel like there has been a lot of commotion about this book. People very much have different opinions on the book and the fact that JK Rowling is adding some more content for the Harry Potter world. I, personally was excited for a little more of Harry Potter but I think I would have liked it a lot more if the content was written by JK herself. All I can say is, the hype definitely got to me with this book.

Cursed Child, in my opinion, could have been better. This script wasn't completely written by JK Rowling, so it was basically reading fanfiction for what happens after the ending of Deathly Hallows. Definitely not the best written fanfiction. (Yes I said it.) Honestly, there were moments reading this book where the events happening just didn't feel right.  They were very unrealistic for this fictional world. Some of the main plot points in this book definitely could have happened but it just didn't seem like something that was likely to happen, which is weird to say, seeing as though it is indeed a fictional world. It didn't feel very Harry Potter like and I do think that comes from having the content being written by someone other than Jo.

And not only was it unrealistic events in this book that I didn't really like, I thought the characters were just soooo annoying at moments, especially the beginning. Like I was face palming myself at how stupid and naive they were at some points because holy lords they were definitely setting themselves up for failure or disaster based on the plans they were making.

And then I also felt like the original Harry Potter characters really weren't acting like themselves. I totally understand that things change after 19 years but I felt like I was reading about a different Harry Potter, I felt like I was reading about a different Ron Weasley. The things the characters did and said sometimes just really didn't feel like the characters I was reading as a little girl, which does make me a little sad because I really was excited to read more about our original characters only to have them not seem like themselves.

I didn't entirely hate it though. There were definitely moments where it was almost like being back in the Harry Potter world. (Keyword here: Almost) I have to admit, it was fun to be reading a whole new Harry Potter story and I liked getting some new content, even if the content didn't feel 100% authentic. I probably wouldn't read it again but I did enjoy new Harry Potter content and to get to know Harry's kids a little more.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top